The History of UoEm

The University of Embu (UoEm) was established as a Constituent College of the University of Nairobi via a Legal Notice No. 65 of 17th June, 2011 by His Excellency the President. EUC is the successor of the former Embu Agricultural Staff Training (EAST) College which started in 1947 as an agricultural training school and was later renamed Embu Institute of Agriculture in 1968.  In 1990, it was upgraded to be Embu Agricultural Staff Training (EAST) College whose mandate was to develop and implement short management and technical courses, and offer research and consultancy services to enhance performance in the agricultural sector.
 
This continued until June 2011 when the College was converted to Embu University College through a Legal Notice No. 65 of 17th June, 2011. The EUC council was inaugurated after its upgrading from Embu Agricultural Staff Training (EAST) College by President Mwai Kibaki. Friday, 7th October, 2016 became a historic day for Embu University College.  This day marked the transition of the Institution from a Constituent College of UoN to a fully- fledged University. The University of Embu was formally awarded a Charter by H.E. President Uhuru Kenyatta at a colorful function held at State house, Nairobi. The objective of the University is to play a leading role in the development and expansion of the opportunities for higher education and research in Agriculture, Agribusiness, Veterinary Medicine, Forestry, Water and Biological and Physical sciences.
 
The University will develop into a centre of excellence for learning and research in agriculture and farming systems within and outside Kenya.